Easy Mediterranean diet recipes
How to cook delicious and healthy dishes without being a master chef
After talking about the Keto diet, I couldn’t resist from writing about another diet.
Being Italian, I am very sensitive to the topic of cooking.
In fact, Italian culture is a mix of art, cuisine, and style.
The Italian one is not the only representative of the kitchens that characterize the Mediterranean diet. However, you will agree with me in saying that it definitely has a strong influence on it.
The Mediterranean diet is very famous, as well as for the results it can give, for being a very healthy diet.
The Mediterranean diet is easy to integrate into your diet: it allows great freedom in food choices, as well as renewed seasonal freshness.
Adopting it can be beneficial both from the point of view of health and of the quality of the gastronomy.
It is a recommended diet for anyone who wants to improve quality and life expectancy and is very suitable for children.
In 2010 UNESCO entered the Mediterranean diet on the list of the intangible cultural heritage of humanity.
Thus its nutritional and cultural value as world excellence has been recognized.
For these reasons, I decided to share some easy Mediterranean diet recipes with you.
Spaghetti with tomato sauce and basil
Don’t tell me that you can’t cook spaghetti, this is the easiest Mediterranean diet recipe.
Let’s start with the most representative dish of the Mediterranean diet: spaghetti with tomato and basil. It is a first course balanced from a nutritional point of view, healthy and very tasty; each of us has his recipe and version, but in general, the procedure is very simple:
- Brown in a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil a couple of cloves of garlic and chili pepper if you like;
- When it starts to sizzle, add the diced tomatoes (if it is not a season of tomatoes, use a passata);
- Then flavor with a pinch of sales and fresh basil;
- While the sauce is cooking, no more than ten minutes, cook the pasta, preferably wholemeal, in abundant salted water;
- Drain, add the pasta to the sauce, and serve.
If a weight loss diet is followed, 60-70 grams of pasta is the dose that we should take to not exaggerate the consumption of carbohydrates; the consumption of other carbohydrates, such as bread, is not allowed when eating pasta.
Baked sea bream au gratin
This is the second of the easy Mediterranean diet recipes that I chose for you.
Here is a second fish-based dish that does not require a great deal of effort, it only takes a little dexterity to clean the sea bream from the bones if you buy it whole.
- Wash the beets and scald them in slightly salted boiling water;
- When they are cooked, pour them in a bowl with water and ice so they will remain a beautiful intense green color, and then pass them for a few minutes in a pan with extra virgin olive oil and crushed garlic;
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with parchment paper and lay the sea bream fillets, which you will cover with a mixture of breadcrumbs, Parmigiano Reggiano and finely chopped parsley;
- Bake at 170 ° for about ten minutes and then serve on the table accompanying everything with the chard.
Even if it is a dietary recipe, it is a tasty second course that you can also offer your guests without disfiguring.
Baked eggs with spinach
Within the Mediterranean diet, eggs are expected even if you should not eat more than two per week and, if you are following a weight loss diet, they should be cooked without fat. This recipe combines eggs with spinach and, if eaten with two slices of wholemeal bread and fruit, it is an ideal dinner for those who are following the 1200 calorie Mediterranean diet.
- First, you have to boil the spinach in abundant salted water, then drain and arrange them in a bowl;
- At this point, break one or two eggs on top of the spinach, season with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a little salt and put the bowl in the oven;
- Cook for five minutes at 180 ° or in any case the time necessary to cook the eggs;
It is a light recipe from the Mediterranean diet, an original way of eating eggs that you can offer once a week.
Pasta with seasonal vegetables
This light recipe from the Mediterranean diet represents a delicious first course, simple, easy to prepare and delicious; you can decline it according to the seasonality of the ingredients: in summer you will use tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, and courgettes, while in winter you can go broccoli, cauliflower and savoy cabbage for a first course rich in flavors, colors, and vitamins.
To make this dietary recipe, follow these simple steps:
- Start with a light sauté of celery, carrot, and onion;
- Add the vegetables to the sauté, making them flavor all together;
- Add some chili pepper, a couple of anchovies to give flavor and, if necessary, lengthen with a little water or light broth;
- While the vegetables are cooking, boil the pasta, preferably wholemeal, in abundant salted water;
- When the pasta is cooked, sauté it for a few minutes in a pan with the vegetables.
This first course, combined with fruit, represents a perfect lunch for those who are following the Mediterranean diet.
Pumpkin and carrot soup
Finally, we have soup between the easy Mediterranean diet recipes, are you surprised?
As you know, vegetables are the basis of the Mediterranean diet and should be consumed in at least three portions every day; they represent a concentrate of well-being, with many vitamins and minerals, and contain very few calories, therefore they are recommended in any weight loss diet. Here is a light recipe typical of the Mediterranean diet, an easy recipe that you can consume even several times a week.
- Cut into pieces of equal size pumpkin, carrots, and potatoes;
- Cook everything together in a little water; from the moment of boiling, 20-30 minutes of cooking should be enough but always check if the vegetables are completely cooked before turning off the fire;
- You can flavor the soup with turmeric, curry, chili pepper and aromatic herbs at your convenience;
Once cooked, blend everything with the immersion blender and bring to the table accompanied by a slice of toasted wholemeal bread.
Bruschetta with tomato and cheese
I can’t avoid to insert it between the easy Mediterranean diet recipes.
- First of all, choose whole wheat bread, because it is richer in fiber and easier to digest;
- Toast the bread and rub it with fresh garlic which will give flavor and character to your light recipe;
- Cut the tomatoes into chunks and season them with very little extra virgin olive oil, fresh basil and a pinch of salt;
- Leave them to flavor for a few minutes and in the meantime spread the toast with light spreadable cheese or fresh ricotta;
- Arrange your tomatoes on top of the cheese and serve!
Since it is a recipe for the Mediterranean diet that contains both carbohydrates and proteins, you can eat a couple of slices to have a complete and tasty dinner.
If you never know what to eat for dinner and are tired of the usual steamed fish, why not try this delicious octopus salad? It is a dietary recipe that represents a fresh and light second course; it takes some time to make it, but if you buy the cooked octopus, the preparation times are reduced a lot.
Here is the procedure:
- Start by boiling the octopus in salted boiling water for about an hour;
- Simultaneously boil the potatoes and beans (choose your favorite);
- When everything is cooked, let the ingredients cool down;
- Cut everything into small pieces and mix;
- Also add diced celery, chopped parsley, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little lemon juice;
- Let the octopus flavor for a few hours and then bring it to the table!
- Here is a delicious and light single dish, to be accompanied by a couple of slices of wholemeal bread.
This is a real surprise, isn’t it? We also have a hamburger between the easy Mediterranean diet recipes.
Yes, you read that right, we are recommending you the light hamburger recipe! We know that the Mediterranean diet advises not to abuse red meat, which should be eaten once a month, so use chicken mince to make your hamburger.
- Mix the minced chicken meat with pepper, spices and aromatic herbs to your liking;
- Cook the hamburger on the fat-free grill;
- In the meantime cut the tomato, onion, and cucumber into slices;
- When the meat is cooked, compose your hamburger: a slice of black charcoal (or even wholemeal) bread, fresh arugula, homemade ketchup if you like it, hamburgers, and raw vegetables, to end with the layer of bread.
Obviously it is a single dish, to be consumed at most once a week.
Spelled and bean soup
I wanted to insert at least 2 soups between my selection of easy Mediterranean diet recipes.
Spelled and bean soup is a light and healthy single dish, ideal to be included in a Mediterranean slimming diet because it will satisfy you for a long time without weighing you down; what we offer is also a very tasty recipe, which you can prepare in advance and then heat for a few minutes before bringing it to the table. Here are the ingredients for 4 portions of soup:
5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
150 g of spelled
4 sage leaves
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
200 g of dry white beans
And this is the preparation:
- First put the dry white beans in cold salted water, where they will have to stay at least 12 hours, and then cook them in the same water adding onion and sage leaves.
- Once cooked, divide the beans into two parts and finely chop one.
- Put all the beans in the cooking broth and in the meantime, brown the onion, celery, and carrot, minced and tomato paste with the oil.
- Cook for 15 minutes and add the beans with their broth.
- After another 10 minutes add the spelled, salt, pepper, and cook for another hour.
Spaghetti with garlic, oil and hot peppers (Aglio, olio e peperoncino)
You’ve already started to think about how is it possible that I left it out from the easy Mediterranean diet recipes.
You are right, it’s mandatory to write about it.
Spaghetti with garlic, oil, and chili is one of the most traditional and tastiest dishes in our kitchen. Even if it seems simple, preparing them is not at all and you have to pay close attention to cooking the pasta and flavoring the oil to obtain a perfect result. Here are the doses to prepare a nice spaghetti for 4 people, but without forgetting the line.
4 spoons of extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
30 g of breadcrumbs
320 g of spaghetti
2 fresh chilies
To prepare the spaghetti with garlic, oil and chili pepper, here is the procedure:
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add 3 cloves of garlic cut into thin slices and 2 crushed hot peppers.
- Brown the garlic and add the breadcrumbs.
- In the meantime, cook the spaghetti al dente and then add them to the pan making them jump for a few minutes.
I admit it, I struggled to write this article all at once.
Every time I published the photos, I felt like tasting these delicacies.
These ten recipes are certainly a valid alternative to everyday lunches or dinners.
If I wanted to adopt the Mediterranean diet as a nutritional style, I have a quiz ready for you.
The system, depending on your preferences, will be able to provide you with a food plan capable of making you lose weight without excessive efforts and, above all, in a healthy and balanced way.
I sincerely hope that these dishes have stimulated your appetite.
If you liked this article, share it with your friends and leave a comment. I would be very pleased to know your opinion or your experience.
Have a great day,